Back from the Dead

April 28th

It’s been a month since I’ve “blogged” – there’s a lot of catching up to do. It took 3 weeks to recover from this atrocious head cold I contracted in Vegas… oh yes, Vegas! We did come back and left everything in Vegas but the head cold. We were only there for 2 days and it was a jam-packed 2 days indeed. It was a lovely getaway even if it was so short. We visited Chris’s old neighborhood; he grew up in Vegas when it was much smaller and hadn’t seen it since ’87 so it was a whole new experience for him. We found the house in a small cul-de-sac which was very nostalgic for him. We packed in sight seeing that day, rode the roller coaster on the top of New York, New York and met my wonderful friend Rani in Henderson and ate the most delicious seafood gumbo in the world! Sunset Station had this amazing stained glass covering their ceiling that transfixed me for awhile and rain coming down as wall dividers. Very cool. I couldn’t stop staring at it. And the food was so rich I couldn’t finish it. Luckily we had leftovers for Rani to take home. We got to catch up and Chris and Rani actually met each other, which was nice. It’s a nice connection when friends from different eras of my life meet. I like the feeling that brings me. She is a great friend to me and I’m so glad this time I could travel instead of her driving down to LA. Although it is much shorter I discovered to drive from LA than from San Francisco…. Next trip by plane!

We toured the Strip by day and by night and reaped the benefits of the different beauty of each. We had a front and center spot to view the water show of the fountains in front of the Bellagio under dark skies and glittering lights. And we saw them during day too under sparkling sunshine! We packed up the next morning and actually gambled an hour before we left. … that’s how serious of a gambling streak we have in each of us.. tee hee.. we almost forgot to gamble. Which was probably good, as I only lost $27.00 and that might have been worse, although I only budgeted 40.00 for gambling in my spending plan…. I know, I’m a cheap date. We drove through pouring torrential rains coming back, however, that were a bit scary at times. At one point I couldn’t see the road, slowed to a crawl and almost pulled to the side, but thought better of it. We were the only ones on the road at the time so we pressed on. Monsoon season in the desert. We arrived safe and sound though in Sacramento and had nice warm soup to slurp once we got there. Just in time to watch the last half of The Hangover on HBO….. fancy that!

That’s when I began to slowly slip into the cold from Hell. I was sick for 3 weeks, missed days of work but only one day of class. I did fall behind though in my reading and writing reflection papers and any upkeep whatsoever of my apartment. When I finally crawled out of this virus, I had 3 loads of laundry and a lot of cat hair to clean up. During the progression of this sickness, I had so many wonderful ideas of blogs I could write, but alas, when the virus left, so did the amazing thoughts! Or could they have just been hallucinations???? Congestion does strange things to one’s brain.

It’s interesting what happens to the mind when the body gets sick. It only proves to me how interconnected both parts are. My mind and body both knew I needed recuperation and no matter how hard I tried, I didn’t sleep less than 12 hours a night. Rest is a remarkable curative. Eventually my sore throat disappeared and after using an entire box of kleenix, that stuff disappeared too. I found myself isolating; I think as all mammals do. During the course of this month, I received my Income Tax Refund and could take Sequel to get his ultrasound. It confirmed he has lymphoma and that made me sad. I could tell when he wasn’t feeling well, he isolated too. It must be a trait of warm-blooded creatures. My vet was encouraging however. Since I couldn’t spend the additional 300.00 for the needle biopsy (I’ve already spent 1500.00 on vet bills in the last 6 months, believe it or not), she gave me a regimen for him to be on and we are treating him without definitive proof of the cancer. If it’s not lymphoma, then it’s Irritable Bowel Syndrome and they treat them with the exact same drugs. So what do I have to lose? He’s getting the diet and medication that will help him either way, and that’s a good thing. She said I could have him another year or two just using this regimen if it is cancer, so that created hope for me and that’s the best I can do. When I took Callie in the next day for her problem, I discovered she’s allergic to flea bites and is on the same medication as Sequel. So both my cats are on steroids!! Cats on steroids, good name for a band huh?

So my next project is getting them out of the house to flea bomb it. No easy feat, but I’m working on the logistics. At least we’re a little bit healthier family now. Could I ask for anything more?

From my little piece of Mayberry with cats on steroids,